Moving your boat to the Gold Coast
Do we really need to convince you about getting your boat transported up to the Gold Coast in Australia? Seriously just stare at the aerial photo and you’ll see the massive expanses of waterways and open ocean that you can explore with your boat whether you are interested in fishing, relaxing or taking your family for a holiday.
Moving boats to the Gold Coast by road is one of our most popular transportation routes. The Gold Coast has nine times more waterways than Venice making it a boaties paradise with more than two hundred and sixty kilometres of navigable waterways to enjoy. This includes lots of sheltered locations that are perfect for kids.
The Gold Coast seaway offers convenient access to the Pacific Ocean for those interested in deep-sea fishing. So our company regularly transports boats across Australia up to the Gold Coast, especially fishing boats. There are thousands of people having their boats moved or relocated every week to this coastal city, especially around summer holiday time.. Unlike countries in Europe, Asia or the Americas, Australia has huge distances between each state or city which means local boat transportation companies will travel huge distances to get a boat taken across from one place to another.
The Gold Coast City Council have been working hard to clean up the waterways for recreational use, that’s another reason we get asked to provide quotes on boat transport up there. Thirty seven derelict vessels have been removed from Gold Coast waterways since 2021 as part of the Palaszczuk Government’s $20 million War on Wrecks program. Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the program was fast approaching its 1000th vessel removed from Queensland’s coastlines. “The War on Wrecks program ensures that abandoned vessels do not become a blight on Queensland’s pristine coastlines and waterways, with $20 million in funding ensuring we get the job done safely,” Mr Bailey said. “On the Gold Coast, a mix of speed boats, yachts, house boats and cabin cruisers between 4-to-12 metres have been removed and destroyed from locations including Currigee, Labrador, Jacobs Well and Cabbage Tree Point.
You might be living in Sydney but buy a boat that is stored at a boat dealer like Gold Coast City Marina. We can transport it down as soon as the purchase is completed, it is a regular cross country trip that we do several times a week. There have been other clients we have helped that were moving from Perth to Sydney so they had all their belongings put into a shipping container from their house, but then contracted us to haul their boat across the country by road so they could use it in the harbour here.
Boats transported to marinas on the Gold Coast
Our company can deliver a boat to any marina on the Gold Coast using our road transportation equipment. We have a semi-trailer and a custom built boat trailer that can carry boats that are up to 60 foot long, yes huge, big, large boats can go onto our trailer to be taken to to any marina located in places like Runaway Bay, Broadwater, the Nerang River or Surfers Paradise.
Just like any other type of cargo getting moved once it is loaded onto our trailer we can take it nearly anywhere you like even if that means going across Australia from Perth to the Gold Coast. Relocating a boat by road is cost effective, relatively fast & best of all you know exactly where it is without other people driving it or waiting for it to come out of a container somewhere.
Our transportation routes travel between all the major cities in Australia so we regularly take boats from say Sydney to Brisbane as these two cities have some of the best waterways & the most boat owners. Some of our customers even move their boat up north during the winter so they can enjoy the warmer climate or go wherever the fishing seasons take them.
Move your boat up to the Gold Coast to go fishing
Doesn’t matter if you own a cruiser, sports boat or a fishing boat we can transport it up to any marina location on the Gold Coast, especially large boats that are 25 foot or longer. If you love fishing there are so many choices up there either open ocean or around the in-land waterways. The Gold Coast council has so many public fishing platform locations;
- Barney Street fishing platform
- Chevron Island fishing platform
- Coombabah fishing platform
- Currumbin creek fishing platform
- Labrador fishing platform
- Nerang fishing platform
- Pizzey river fishing platform
- Yatala fishing platform
Can a large boat get moved to the Gold Coast by road?
Abso-blo@&y-lutely we can relocate large boats to anywhere on the Gold Coast from other locations in Australia, it is what Peter does every day of the week. Some say he likes going to the Gold Coast because he has a secret fishing spot for fresh lobster that he won’t tell anyone about.
Most marinas like GCCM will have travel lifts, storage and other services that can help you pull any type of big boat in or out of the water water so that we can drop it off. They will charge a fee for this because of the time and labour involved to pull it out of the water, but it means you get the option of leaving it there or getting it taken somewhere else when you need it.
While it is up there you can get your engines serviced, antifouling done to the hull or even replace your accessories like navigation equipment or fishing rod holders.
How much does boat transport to the Gold Coast cost?
Like any skilled professional service when you get a quote for boat transport costs to the Gold Coast the calculation is more than just looking at the distance to be travelled. Some larger boats could mean it’s a job that takes many days to complete with great difficulty if it requires pilot vehicles, permits & lots of route planning.
For some people transporting a boat by road might seem an unusual thing to do compared to moving it by water. Although nearly all boats at some point need to be out of the water for maintenance or to be sold to a new owner. Moving it by road is often the fastest & simplest way to achieve this whether it has to travel a few kilometres or be moved interstate. This is usually the cheaper cost option compared to sailing or motoring it by sea. Using a boat transport company means you can save time, fuel, engine hours, plus wear and tear.
Our focus as a boat transportation company is to provide a specialist transport service for large boats. So when you hire us, you get access to many years of knowledge about how to properly lift a boat, where and how to secure it a trailer & how to safely tow such a heavy load over large distances. Our attention to detail will ensure your asset has a safe trip by road (which is fully insured as well)
Most states of Australia also require oversize transportation permits from the relevant state roads authority to ensure each company adheres to the correct requirements. We can collaborate with other marine companies to help you with storage, crane lifts, maintenance or other services needed for your boat.
We always make sure to explain all the costs up front with our fixed price quotes & we don’t hide any extra fees or charges.
The costs for boats getting moved across Australia to the Gold Coast have lots of variables to consider. Relocating a small boat might cost less than $1,000 INC GST if you use a local towing company or someone from Gumtree. Our company specialises in handling larger boats that are 25 foot or longer that could cost up to $30,000 INC GST to get it moved. The key factors that will contribute to relocation costs are;
- What is the cost of getting it out of the water & onto a transportation trailer
- How long, wide and heigh is the vessel
- How heavy is the load going to be
- What is the exact location of the pick up
- What is the delivery location
- The total distance that has to get travelled. This may not be a straight line depending on the boat’s size.
- The total time it might take from loading, transport and unloading
- Will pilot vehicles need to be required
- Will permits or other approvals be needed
- What is the value of the vessel to ensure there is adequate insurance
- What seasonal period or how quickly it needs to be relocated
Where are the best places to transport a boat to?
There are some great places to use a new or used boat around the Gold Coast.
1. Nerang River – this is probably the most versatile waterway area. The Nerang River is the main contributor to the Gold Coast’s waterways with ample opportunities for adventures depending where you branch off. This tributary has many off-branches and winds its way through the very heart of the gold coast. A trip down the Nerang River will provide you with incredible sights along the way with lush greenery and wildlife presenting a soothing and relaxing experience.
2. Surfer’s Paradise – The Gold Coast’s tourist hotspot provides boating adventure for all ages, skill levels and interests. There’s no need to be a fully fledged, licensed, boat owning enthusiast to enjoy a gold coast family boating adventure at Surfer’s Paradise. Even if you don’t own your own boat you can do things like whale watching, go on a river cruise or even a gondola.
3. The Broadwater – is Peter’s favourite. Simply referred to as “Broadwater” by the locals it is great for a bit of island and beach hopping. Some of the best locations are off the coast on the surrounding islands. You can take a short trip across to Wavebreak Island which is home to yabby banks and breakwall fishing for keen anglers. As well as a plethora of gorgeous native Australian sealife, making it an ideal place to whip out the snorkel and go for a dip. You can also get to South Stradbroke Island which is also a great place to pitch a tent if you’d like to make a multi-day trip out of your Gold Coast family boating adventure. Head to Tippler’s Passage, tucked in the north-west corner of the island. This is a must-visit for anyone taking a boat trip across to “Straddie”.
4. Runaway Bay – is where Peter wants to build a mansion one day that has its own jetty. It is the perfect location for a maiden voyage and home to a great number of boat resellers, its where we go all the time. As well as the famous Marina Mirage which has 195 marina berths, a fuelling station for easy take-off and a decent strip of cafes for breakfast or afternoon tea with the family. Peter’s partner loves the proximity to the Runaway Bay Shopping village and Capri on Via Roma.
5. Sanctuary Cove – Well known amongst boating enthusiasts, Sanctuary Cove hosts its own International Boat Show every year. For any serious seafarer, this event is the cream of the crop and uber luxury. Plenty to see and do including electric picnic boats as well as some incredible sailing boats for a nice, relaxing day out on the water.